If you have acne, you already know how embarrassing and uncomfortable it can be. Acne is one of the most common skin conditions, affecting millions of people, not just teenagers. Adults can have acne too. The dermatologists at Penstein Dermatology in New York, NY, provide a wide range of skin care services, including acne treatment, to help you enjoy clear skin.
What You Need To Know About Acne and Acne Treatment
Acne comes in several forms including blackheads, whiteheads, and painful cystic acne. Blemishes can appear on your face, back, shoulders, and other areas of your body.
The main causes of acne are:
- Debris, excess oil, and dirt blocking your pores
- Hormonal changes including puberty and menopause
- Underlying bacteria causing an infection in your pores
It’s tempting to try over-the-counter acne treatments, but these often contain harsh chemicals and abrasive agents which can irritate your skin. It’s also tempting to pick or pop your blemishes, but this can lead to ugly acne scars.
Visiting our dermatologist for professional acne treatment is a much better solution. Our dermatologist may recommend:
- Products containing benzoyl peroxide which clears away debris-blocking pores
- Oral and topical and oral antibiotics kill the underlying bacteria infecting your pores
- Hormonal acne treatments are an excellent solution for acne brought on by hormonal fluctuations
- Tretinoin products unclog pores by clearing out excess oil and debris
- Extraction treatment which uses an instrument to completely remove blemishes, including whiteheads and blackheads
- Laser light therapy kills underlying bacteria causing the acne
If you do have acne scarring, your dermatologist can help diminish the appearance of acne scars using several options, including:
- Chemical peels
- Laser light therapy
- Skin resurfacing treatments
Want To Know More?
To learn more about the causes and treatments for acne, call the dermatologists at Penstein Dermatology in New York, NY. You can reach them in the office by calling (212) 517-5171 so call today.